Compote for the Base
- 2 good eating apples, like Russet or Pink Lady
- 2 William Pears
- 150g mixed dried fruit and peel
- 50g brown sugar
- Juice of a satsuma or Tangerine
- 3 Egg yolks
- 500ml Cream
- 125ml cold milk
- 50 Caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways or 50g Vanilla sugar
- A splash of Brandy, to taste
- 100g butter, melted
- 200g porridge oats
- 200g mixed nuts and seeds, buy them already
- done to save time and money
- 100g bag mixed dried fruit, cranberries, golden
- raisins etc
- 85ml runny honey or Maple syrup
- Cream the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy, scald the cream, pour over the yolk mix, constantly whisking, pour back into the pan and cook until it coats the back of a spoon. Once it does this add the cold milk to stop the cooking and help chill the custard.
- Allow the custard to cool fully or serve straight away.
- If you are going to reheat this custard, do it gently and thoroughly or you may end up with sweet scrambled eggs.
- Allow to cool slightly, covered with parchment paper to stop a skin forming.
- Mix everything in a large bowl, pour the mix into a baking paper lined baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before breaking up into smaller boulders.
- Take a coupe ice cream glass and layer in the fruit.
- Add the custard and finally top with the Cranachan.
- Finally add a little grated satsuma zest.