- 500ml double cream
- 1 fresh vanilla pod
- 100g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- kilo of William Pears
- Peel, core and slice about a a kilo of William Pears, then cook them over a gentle heat with a shake of caster sugar and just a dribble of water to prevent them burning.
- Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the pear pieces have gently softened but keep their shape.
- Leave to cool.
- Divide the pear between 6–8 ramekins or other small heatproof dishes, you want about a centimeter or so of fruit in each ramekin, chill thoroughly in the fridge.
- Scold cream, and vanilla pod
- Allow to stand 5 mins
- Scrape seeds out
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together well
- Pour hot cream over eggs, whisk well
- Strain into jug
- Pour the custard gently over the apple compote being careful not to break it up to much. bake in a Bain Marie for 30 mins at 140.c until soft set.
- Glaze to serve
Works so well with rhubarb, plums and gooseberries