- 450g plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger (fairway)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (fairway)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 140 butter (room temp) (fairway)
- 165g dark brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 160g golden syrup
- 1–2 tbsp milk
- For the royal icing:
- 4 egg whites
- 500 icing sugar
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar and mix in rest of the ingredients.
- Wrap dough in cling film (fairway) and rest for 30 mins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 6 and line a baking tray
- Cut out shapes and put on the tray.
- Bake for 8 minutes until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, whisk the egg white in a large, clean bowl until frothy. Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth and thick. .
- Add the lemon juice through a tea strainer and continue beating until smooth and glossy. The icing should be smooth and not too stiff.
- If grainy add small drops of cold water until smooth.
To decorate the biscuits, fit a piping bag with a No. 2 nozzle and fill with the white royal icing. Decorate the biscuits and then leave until set before storing in an airtight container they’ll be good for up to a week.